The Lahore Development Authority (LDA) has agreed to alter the Building and Zoning Rules, 2020, to include area development projects under the guidelines. The area development project will be divided into three portions after the modifications, ranging in size from 24 kanal to 300 kanal:
- For land areas of 24-30 kanals, a 30 ft area will be reserved for the building line, with 13 ft of land reserved on both sides and ground floor covering reaching over 60% of the land.
- For land areas ranging from 31 to 50 kanals, a 40-foot space will be reserved for the building line, with 15 feet of land reserved on both sides and ground-floor covering reaching more than 60% of the total area.
- For land areas ranging from 51 to 300 kanals, a 50-foot building line will be spared, with 15 feet of land spared on both sides and ground-floor covering reaching over 60% of the land.
The following incentives will be provided as a result of the change to the Building and Zoning Rules in 2020:
- Reduced plot sizes in area development initiatives will allow for construction.
- Bylaws for plots in subdivision areas will be amended to include additional incentives.
- It has also been revealed that the legislation for combining two plots will be relaxed.
- Subdivided plots spanning between 10 marlas and 1 kanal will have to leave 30 feet of land on the front, 7 feet on the back, and 5 feet on both sides which is less than the previous requirement of sparing 13 ft. As per the amendments, the covered area will be increased in plots reduced in sizes through sub-divisions.
- Two adjacent plots in government or registered private housing schemes will be permitted to be combined after the changes.
The amending draft of building rules will be presented at the forthcoming governing body meeting, where final approval will be granted.